About this Course
This class is based upon your knowledge of using Microsoft Project. It is designed to advance your knowledge of the tool beyond the basics. It assumes that you have already obtained these skills and knowledge from a previous Level 1 class such as the Project Level 1 class offered by Springhouse. This lesson will also reinforce these basic concepts. Students will learn advanced topics of task management, resource management, scheduling, formatting and other topics.
This manual and course are intended primarily for anyone:
- Already familiar with Project 2010/2013 Level 1 concepts or has taken the Springhouse Project 2010/2013 Level 1 class
- already familiar with any Microsoft Project version Level 2 concepts and wish to refresh their knowledge
At Course Completion
Lesson 1: Review Of Basics
- Review of Successful Project Schedule Characteristics
- Review of the Steps for a Successful Project Schedule
Lesson 2: Advanced Task Management
- Import Outlook Tasks
- Effort Driven Scheduling
- Task Calendars
- Moving and Splitting a Task
Lesson 3: Advanced Resource Management
- Document Resources
- Over-allocation of Resources
- Resource Pools and Generic Resources
- Resource Rates – Fixed and Variable
Lesson 4: Advanced Scheduling Techniques
- Using multiple baselines and views
- Creating an Interim Plan
- Documenting Significant Changes
- Schedule Updates – Incomplete Work
- The Update Project Function
Lesson 5: Advanced Formatting
- Outlining Tasks
- Displaying WBS Codes
Lesson 6: Other Advanced Topics
- Creating peer project links
- Creating a Master Project
- Linking with Master Projects
- Master Projects and Shared Resource Pool
- Resolving Over-allocations across multiple projects
- Shared Resources in Master Projects
- Creating a project template
- Custom Fields
- Creating a custom table
LAB 1 – Project Simulation
Students taking this course should be familiar with personal computers and the use of a keyboard and a mouse. Additionally, students should already be familiar with and have used Microsoft Project 2010 or 2013.
Venue: LIVE Online
Live Online Training
Get the same training you expect in the classroom without leaving your office or home. These are NOT recorded classes. They are LIVE sessions with an expert instructor. We use the latest in video conferencing technologies and audio so you can confidently participate in any class just like being right there in person. We guarantee the effectiveness of our online training delivery approach that we will give you your money back if you are not totally satisfied. Ask us for a demo.
Online class requirements:
- Moderate to fast Internet
- A phone or computer headset is required in order to hear the instructor/moderator). You can use Computer Audio (VoIP) or you can dial in from a regular phone. For convenience, we recommend a hands-free headset or phone.
- Training software must be installed on your computer (trial versions are acceptable)
- RECOMMENDED: Dual Monitors or computers. For optimal online learning experience, we recommend participants have dual monitors or two computers. Your online classroom credentials allow you to join multiple times from multiple computers. Participants should use one monitor or computer to view the instructor’s shared screen and another monitor or computer to work with the software.
What happens when you enroll in an online class
When you register for an online class, you will receive a welcome email followed by login access to the Citrix GoToTraining virtual classroom. A workbook (printed copy or eBook) will be sent to you prior to the start of class.
Online Training Advantages
Convenience: You don’t have to travel and can attend from your home, office or anywhere with an internet connection. Our online classes are conducted using GoToTraining, a more robust version of the popular GoToMeeting screen sharing and conferencing platform. To accommodate multiple time zones, courses are typically scheduled from 10am – 5pm Eastern with a one-hour lunch break at 12:30 – 1:30 pm Eastern and a 10-minute break in the morning and afternoon. When conducting custom online course for your group, class times can be modified to accommodate your timezone.
Interactive Learning: Our online training is fully interactive. You can speak and chat with the instructor and classmates at any time. Various interactive techniques are used in every class. Our small class sizes (typically 4 – 8 students), allow our instructors to focus on individual performance and issues and to work closely with you to meet your unique needs. Classes are designed to be a hands-on learning experience, providing opportunities for you to try your new skills while the instructor is available for review, questions, and feedback. You have the option to give the instructor permission to view your computer to provide one-on-one assistance when needed.