About this Course
This is the first course in TLG Learning’s exclusive Data Analysis using Power BI Desktop series. This course lays the foundation for Power BI Report Builders. Report Builders will learn everything they need to create highly effective stand-alone and multi-page narrative reports using data sources that are created using Power BI Desktop. This course covers the use of both the Power BI Desktop application as well as the Power BI Service.
At Course Completion
Lesson 1 : Introducing the Power BI Service
- What Is the Power BI Service?
- Power BI Service Key Features
- The Self-Service BI Model
- Power BI Reports & Dashboards
Lesson 2 : Defining a Report
- What is a Power BI Report?
- Defining a Report
- Data-Driven Storytelling
Lesson 3 : Building Power BI Desktop Reports
- Understanding the Design Interface
- Creating Reports
- Report Visualizations
- Formatting Visualizations
- Report Final Touches
Lesson 4 : Report Actions and Filtering
- Visual Sorting
- Creating Slicers
- Drill-down, Highlighting, & Data Actions
- Visual, Report, & Page Filters
- Visual Interactions
Lesson 5 : Understanding Data Models
- Understanding Data Terminology
- Understanding Tables
- Understanding Relationships
- Diagnosing Data Models
- Data Model Schemas
Lesson 6 : Gathering Report Data
- Data Queries vs Data Models
- Viewing & Refreshing a Data Source
- Modifying Report Data
Lesson 7 : Data Model Functions
- Creating Calculated Columns
- What is DAX?
- Understanding DAX Functions
- Date Hierarchies
Lesson 8 : Connecting to the Power BI Service
- Power BI Service Interface
- Connecting to a Data Source
- Uploading & Updating PBIX Reports
- Power BI Service Report Interface
- Managing Power BI Service Datasets
Lesson 9 : Building Power BI Service Dashboards
- Creating Dashboards using Existing Reports
- Building Dashboards
- Organizing Dashboard Elements
Lesson 10 : Using Q & A (Cortana)
- Understanding Q & A
- Modifying Q & A Results
- Pinning Q & A results to a Dashboard
Lesson 11 : Sharing Reports & Dashboards
- Sharing with Co-Workers
- Managing Power BI Content
- Using Groups
- Creating Content Packs
Appendix A: Power BI Roles
- Adding Roles
- Determining filters
- Publishing Roles
General understanding of reporting requirements and a basic understanding of data base concepts is useful, but not required
Venue: LIVE Online
Live Online Training
Get the same training you expect in the classroom without leaving your office or home. These are NOT recorded classes. They are LIVE sessions with an expert instructor. We use the latest in video conferencing technologies and audio so you can confidently participate in any class just like being right there in person. We guarantee the effectiveness of our online training delivery approach that we will give you your money back if you are not totally satisfied. Ask us for a demo.
Online class requirements:
- Moderate to fast Internet
- A phone or computer headset is required in order to hear the instructor/moderator). You can use Computer Audio (VoIP) or you can dial in from a regular phone. For convenience, we recommend a hands-free headset or phone.
- Training software must be installed on your computer (trial versions are acceptable)
- RECOMMENDED: Dual Monitors or computers. For optimal online learning experience, we recommend participants have dual monitors or two computers. Your online classroom credentials allow you to join multiple times from multiple computers. Participants should use one monitor or computer to view the instructor’s shared screen and another monitor or computer to work with the software.
What happens when you enroll in an online class
When you register for an online class, you will receive a welcome email followed by login access to the Citrix GoToTraining virtual classroom. A workbook (printed copy or eBook) will be sent to you prior to the start of class.
Online Training Advantages
Convenience: You don’t have to travel and can attend from your home, office or anywhere with an internet connection. Our online classes are conducted using GoToTraining, a more robust version of the popular GoToMeeting screen sharing and conferencing platform. To accommodate multiple time zones, courses are typically scheduled from 10am – 5pm Eastern with a one-hour lunch break at 12:30 – 1:30 pm Eastern and a 10-minute break in the morning and afternoon. When conducting custom online course for your group, class times can be modified to accommodate your timezone.
Interactive Learning: Our online training is fully interactive. You can speak and chat with the instructor and classmates at any time. Various interactive techniques are used in every class. Our small class sizes (typically 4 – 8 students), allow our instructors to focus on individual performance and issues and to work closely with you to meet your unique needs. Classes are designed to be a hands-on learning experience, providing opportunities for you to try your new skills while the instructor is available for review, questions, and feedback. You have the option to give the instructor permission to view your computer to provide one-on-one assistance when needed.